These are some series and books I’ve really enjoyed. I’ll try to limit each category so things don’t get out of hand.
- Andrews, Illona. Kate Daniels series – starts with Magic Bites. (Urban fantasy)
- Beagle, Peter S. The Last Unicorn. (Fairy tale, high fantasy)
- Clarke, Susana. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. (Historical fantasy)
- Gaiman, Neil. The Ocean at the End of the Lane. (Contemporary Fantasy)
- Gaiman, Neil and Pratchett, Terry. Good Omens. (Contemporary Fantasy)
- Gladstone, Max. The Craft Sequence – starts with Three Parts Dead. I’ve reviewed the third book Full Fathom Five. (Second world, urban fantasy)
- Lynch, Scott. The Gentleman Bastard series – starts with The Lies of Locke Lamora. (Epic fantasy, high fantasy)
- McKinley, Robin. Sunshine. (Urban fantasy)
- O’Malley, Daniel. The Rook. (Urban fantasy)
- Pratchett, Terry. Discworld – I suggest starting with Guards! Guards!, Going Postal, Reaper Man, Wee Free Men or any book that relates to a specific interest of yours. (Comedic fantasy)
- Sanderson, Brandon. The Stormlight Archives – starts with The Way of Kings, the Mistborn Trilogy – starts with Mistborn, and The Emperor’s Soul. (Epic fantasy, high fantasy)
- Duane, Diana. The Young Wizards series – starts with So You Want to Be a Wizard? (Urban fantasy, science-fiction fantasy)
- Funke, Cornelia. The Inkheart trilogy – starts with Inkheart– and the Mirrorworld series (Fairy tales) – starts with Reckless.
- Gaiman, Neil. The Graveyard Book.
- Hartman, Rachel. Seraphina. (High fantasy)
- Jones, Diana Wynne. The Dark Lord of Derkholm (Comedic fantasy), Howl’s Moving Castle (Fairy tale, high fantasy), and the Chrestomanci series.
- Levine, Gail Carson. Ella Enchanted. (Fairy tale retelling)
- McKinley, Robin. The Hero and the Crown. (High fantasy)
- Nix, Garath. The Abhorson series – starts with Sabriel.
- Pratchett, Terry. The Tiffany Aching series – starts with The Wee Free Men.
- Rowling, J.K. The Harry Potter series – starts with Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.
- Stiefvater, Maggie. The Raven Cycle – start with The Raven Boys.
- Stroud, Jonathan. The Bartimeaus trilogy – starts with The Amulet of Samarkand.
- Wrede, Patricia C. The Enchanted Forest series – starts with Dealing with Dragons.
- Fforde, Jasper. Shades of Grey. (Dystopia)
- Lowry, Lois. The Giver. (Dystopia)
- Willis, Connie. To Say Nothing of the Dog and The Doomsday Book. (Time-travel)
- Zettle, Sarah. Fool’s War. (Space Opera)
YA Science Fiction
- Westerfeld, Scott. The Leviathan Trilogy – starts with Leviathan. (Steampunk)
- Zahn, Timothy. The Dragonback series – starts with Dragon and Solider. (Space Opera)