Over a month ago, I promised a list of recommended SFF short fiction published in 2017. I meant to get to it in the first week of January… and here we are, in February. Oh well. Better late than never?
Anyway, these are my favorite stories of 2017! I hope you find some you enjoy.
- “Making the Magic Lightning Strike Me” by John Chu, Uncanny.
- “Welcome to Astuna” by Pip Coen, Apex.
- “A Complex Filament of Light” by S. Qiouyi Lu, Anathema.
- “If a Bird Can Be a Ghost” by Allison Mills, Apex.
- And Then There Were (N-One) by Sarah Pinsker, Uncanny.
- “Fandom for Robots” by Vina Jie-Min Prasad, Uncanny.
- “Welcome to Your Authentic Indian ExperienceTM“ by Rebecca Roanhorse, Apex.
- “Later, Let’s Tear Up the Inner Sanctum” by A. Merc Rustad, Lightspeed.
- “Small Changes Over Long Periods of Time” by K.M. Szpara, Uncanny.
- “Carnival Nine” by Caroline M. Yoachim, Beneath Ceaseless Skies.
- “Tongue” by Ashok K. Banker, Lightspeed.
- “Claire Weinraub’s Top Five Sea Monster Stories (For Allie)” by Evan Berkow, Flash Fiction Online.
- “It Happened to Me: I Was Brought Back to Avenge My Death, But Chose Justice Instead” by Nino Cipri, Fireside Fiction.
- “Through She Be But Little” by C. S. E. Cooney, Uncanny.
- “An Unexpected Boon” by S.B. Divya, Apex.
- “Of Letters They Are Made” by Jonathan Edelstein, Beneath Ceaseless Skies.
- “Promises of Spring” by Caspian Gray, Nightmare.
- “The Waters and Wild of Winter Street” by Jessi Cole Jackson, The Book Smugglers.
- “Last Chance” by Nicole Kornher-Stace, Clarkesworld.
- “The Worshipful Society of Glovers” by Mary Robinette Kowal, Uncanny.
- “Avi Cantor Has Six Months To Live” by Sacha Lamb, The Book Smugglers.
- “The Hulder’s Husband Says Don’t” by Kate Lecher, Fireside Fiction.
- “Maiden, Mother, Crone” by Ann Leckie and Rachel Swirsky, Podcastle.
- “Extracurricular Activities” by Yoon Ha Lee, Tor.com.
- “Ghost Town” by Malinda Lo, Uncanny.
- “Red Bark and Ambergris” by Kate Marshall, Beneath Ceaseless Skies.
- “The Martian Obelisk” by Linda Nagata, Tor.com.
- “Narrative Disorder” by Malka Older, Fireside Fiction.
- “The Secret Life of Bots” by Suzanne Palmer, Clarkesworld.
- “The Sound of” by Charles Payseur, Nightmare.
- “13 Ways to Detect Vampires Online” by Luc Reid, Daily Science Fiction.
- “The Day the Wizards Came” by Rachel Swirsky, Lightspeed.
- “The Last Spell of the Raven” by Morris Tanafon, Glittership.
- “Utopia, LOL?” by Jamie Wahls, Strange Horizons.
- “Angel of the Blockade” by Alex Wells, Tor.com.
- “The Dark Birds” by Ursula Vernon, Apex.
- “Sun, Moon, Dust” by Ursula Vernon, Uncanny.
- “Waiting on a Bright Moon” by JY Yang
Something you think I missed? Let me know in the comments!