Hello everyone! These monthly recaps are a chance for me to go over what books I’ve reviewed this month, what my non-review posts were (here and elsewhere), and what I’ll be reading and reviewing next month. This month, I didn’t have any DNF’s, so I’m going to get straight into what I’m reading and reviewing in August.
For August, I have the following scheduled:
- A review of The Tiger’s Watch by Julia Ember
- A review of Caliban’s War by James S.A. Corey
- A list post of August and September SFF new releases
- A post discussing books I’m considering bringing to college with me
- A short fiction round up
I’m also currently working on reviews for the following books:
- After the Crown by K. B. Wagers
- The Paper Menagerie by Ken Liu
- Even the Darkest Star by Heather Fawcett
I’m not entirely sure what I’ll be reading in August — or how much time I’ll have for reading! About half way through the month, I head back to Georgia to resume classes, and this semester, I have a new job as a writing tutor. I’m definitely going to keep up with the Expanse read along and with reviewing new Bookburners episodes, and I’m likely going to keep doing short story round ups. Book-wise, I’ll probably be working ahead with some ARCs, but there’s still some days in August I’ll need to come up with reviews for. Honestly, I have no idea what books I’ll fill those days with. Maybe I’ll finally get around to reading The Girl with the Ghost Eyes.
Reviews from July
The New Voices of Fantasy edited by Peter S. Beagle and Jacob Weisman
The Faerie Godmother’s Apprentice Wore Green by Nicky Kyle
Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire
Bookburners: Season Two created by Max Gladstone
The Reluctant Queen by Sarah Beth Durst
3 1/2 stars
Sovereign by April Daniels
The Alchemists of Loom by Elise Kova
Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey
The Little Homo Sapiens Scientist by S.L. Huang
Thick as Thieves by Megan Whalen Turner
The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi
Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab
Runtime by S.B. Divya
Persona by Genevieve Valentine
The Best of Subterranean edited by William Schafer
Gift of the Winter King and Other Stories by Naomi Kritzer
As always, I’ve also got some other posts as well.
Here on the Illustrated Page:
- Short story round ups: part one, part two, and part three.
- Caliban’s War read along posts: one, two, three, and four.
- An interview with April Daniels and a giveaway of her book Sovereign
- An interview with Sarah Beth Durst
- I’m reviewing season three of Bookburners on a per episode basis. This month includes episode one and episode two.
Over on Queership:
- The article “Here’s Why You Should Read Self-Published SFF”
- A list of eight loosely fantasy books with aromantic leads
- A list of eight queer paranormal short stories
And that’s about it for July! What have you been reading lately?